Calls to organisations to send names of panelists at the Pre-conference in preparation of the 8th Africa Regional Platform and the 7th High-level Meeting on Disaster Risk Reduction
The Gender and Disaster Risk Management Platform invites you to make presentations at the pre-conference in preparation of the 8th Africa Regional Platform and the 7th High-level Meeting on Disaster Risk Reduction that will be held from 16th-19th November 2021 in Nairobi-Kenya
The title for the pre-conference is: “Gender and Disaster Risk Reduction/Management in times of Covid-19” and will be held on 10 November 2021.
G&DRM Platform is conducting a Gender and DRM panel in order to examine the impact of COVID-19 on vulnerable populations living in disaster prone areas in Africa. The event will also explore pathways through which stakeholders can accelerate the implementation of the programme of action for the implementation of the Sendai Framework in Africa with special focus on COVID-19 impacts and implications. In addition, this event which will be facilitated by the Members of the D&DRM Platform, will bring together all relevant stakeholders that are active in addressing, not only DRR/M issues, but also COVID-19 related concerns. The event will focus on the interplay of COVID-19 and DRR/M factors such as information, preparedness, financing, recovery, response, women’s leadership, etc. that influence the way vulnerable groups are affected, during and after the disasters
The objectives of the pre-conference are:
- To identify the impacts of COVID-19 on gender relations and women’s empowerment in the context of DRR/M
- To raise awareness on the disproportionate impacts of COVID-19 on women, girls and youth in disaster prone areas.
- To explore mechanisms for addressing such impacts through policy dialogue, advocacy and financing.
- COVID-19, like other disasters, exacerbate gender inequalities and continue to affect the most vulnerable of our societies
- It is important to adopt innovative approaches, including financing mechanisms, to address gender and DRR/M concerns.
- Smart partnerships and collaboration are needed in order to influence policy and decision makers
Interested organisations, please submit the names of panelists and other queries to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 October 2021.